The WordPress Support pages are very good: http://en.support.wordpress.com/
Here are some key ideas that will help you get started:
POSTS VS PAGES
- To create a page, click on PAGES in the DASHBOARD menu
Note that you can create links off IMAGES in exactly the same way by clicking on the inserted image to select it then click on the LINK button in the tool bar as per below.
- You can create links of images in exactly the same way
Simply click on the inserted image. Click on the image and handles will appear as per below.
Then click on the LINK button, circled below.
- When you click on the LINK button in the tool bar, you will get the following interface.
If you are linking to an external website, you may chose to have the link open in a new window
- If you want to link to another page or post within your site, go to ‘link to existing content’
see http://en.support.wordpress.com/links/ for more info on this.
- ‘Image Mapping’ involves creating links of specified areas of an image
- An example of this was used by Lucy: http://citydivided.wordpress.com/
As you move the cursor over the image, the links change. Check it out!
Lucy used an app called http://www.image-maps.com