What is an image?
This is an elusive and profoundly philosophical question. But for now, let us start with a simple technical definition.
- According to: Mishra, Vikash & Kumar, Shobhit & Shukla, Neeraj, 2017, ‘Image Acquisition and Techniques to Perform Image Acquisition’, SAMRIDDHI : A Journal of Physical Sciences, Engineering and Technology.9. 10.18090/samriddhi.v9i01.8333.
Image: from Mishra, Vikash & Kumar, Shobhit & Shukla, Neeraj. (2017). Image Acquisition and Techniques to Perform Image Acquisition. SAMRIDDHI : A Journal of Physical Sciences, Engineering and Technology. 9. 10.18090/samriddhi.v9i01.8333.
The following videos introduce a series of basic concepts about how digital images are formed:
- WATCH: Digital Photography Photographic Processes Series, 2018, streaming video 5:29 minutes, Youtube, George Eastman Museum
FYI, see the complete Eastman MuseumPhotographic Processes Serieshere: https://www.eastman.org/photographic-processes-video-series
BTW, the PHOTOELECTRIC EFFECT was known in the 19th century.
In 1878, Alexander Graham Bell speculated on the possibilities of translating images via his invention the telephone. In 1879 Punch magazine published an illustration of Edison’s concept of a telephonoscope, an ‘electronic camera obscura’ (a form of steampunk Skype?)
[more info here https://placefacecyberspace.net/2014/11/09/digital-dna/]
- WATCH0:45-2:30: an explanation of the difference between analog and digital
The Journey to Non-Linear Editing (part 2), 2013, streaming video 20:53 minutes, Youtube, Filmmaker IQ
- WATCH 0:25-2:40; and 5:45-10:50: an explanation of the difference between CCD and CMOS sensors
The Science of Camera Sensors, 2015, streaming video 13 minutes, Youtube, FilmMaker IQ
- WATCHtil 5:15 How a Pixel Gets Its Colour, 2008, streaming video 6:37 minutes, Youtube, Michael the Maven,
- WATCHfor an explanation of ISO, SNR and image noise
How camera sensors pick up light, 2014, streaming video 3:53 minutes, Youtube, CreativeLive
- WATCH for a more detailed explanation of sensors, the Bayer Array Filter, and colour interpolation / demosaicing
Capturing Digital Images, 2015, streaming video 6:05 minutes, Youtube, Computerphile
NOTE: Green give luminance detail
- BAYER FILTER
In the human eye, colour perception is handled by the CONES.
- WATCH for an introduction to how images are stored as code, bit depth,
Digital Images, 2015, streaming video 8:15, Youtube, Computerphile
- Allen, E., & Triantaphillidou, S. (2012). The Manual of Photography and Digital Imaging (Links to an external site.), 10th Edition (10th ed.). Focal Press.
- Chapter 1: introduction to the imaging process